Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Letter to HIV from Mom




This is a big moment for my mom, we don't normally talk about HIV and when she offered to write a letter to HIV out of the blue I was very humbled and offered her to publish it for her.  I know she would love your feedback and support as she continues to work through the emotions of her son living with HIV.  Feel free to comment as I know she'll be following this post.  - Thanks Mom - your son, Tommy.

A Letter to HIV from Mom

Hey there….you…..that’s right I’m talking to you with the big red HIV letters.  Didn’t think I was noticing you. Think again!!!

You just think you’re so sneaky wandering around inside those who don’t even realize that you came to visit, and usually when it’s already too late.  And the wonderful gifts that you bring along…. Karposi’s Sarcoma, pneumonia, extreme cases of diarrhea and vomiting… WOW!!!!
I just love giving gifts like that to people I love. And let us not forget the possible end gift…DEATH!!!! That’s a good one.

JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE????? Don’t you realize that the human race has no want or need of you, and yet you still persist in trying to hang around doing your slow & painful dirty work. Do you have any idea how many people you have hurt, how many hearts you have broken, and how many families you have destroyed????

Some people say that you are a wrath of God. But the God that I love & believe in would not send you to wreak havoc upon his people, especially the young & innocent. Take poor Ryan White for instance, what was that all about? A boy from a middle class family became a superstar certainly not by his own choosing. Thanks to you, people mocked him, feared him & hated him and then you had the nerve to take his life at such an early age and leave his mother without a son , devastated, and broken hearted for the rest of her life.  Nice going HIV, are you proud of yourself???

Now, let’s talk about me for a moment, yes, me a mother with fear in her heart and tears in her eyes.  Thanks so much for coming into my world! I got the news of your arrival one night about 10 years ago. You just had to take my son too, haven’t you had enough sons and daughters already?  I did not bring my son into this world only to watch him suffer with your torturous effects, having to worry about him taking his medications every day,  hoping that every time he sees his Infectious Disease Dr., that the news of his stats are good. Try sitting on the phone with the news that your only son is in quarantine and no one knows what’s wrong with him. I know, you just wanted to remind him I’m Still Here!! So what are your plans for my son? Up till now he’s been able to walk along side of you and beat the odds, but what will tomorrow or next week, month or year bring? Or will you strike again and destroy the only son I have?

Then, there is my friend who you visited on behalf of her cheating husband. I’ll never forget the morning I also got the same call. She had no idea you were hanging around till she saw her Dr. and you were with her for a few years before she discovered your presence. Maybe her cheating husband deserved you, but not her. She was a good faithful wife and mother, and oh yes, the scare of her two daughters possibly having you too. Geesh… you just don’t quit.

You are a God awful creature, a monster inside. Where did you come from, and why are you here? How many more people have to become and ill and die before you just give up and go away. Medical science will get rid of you once and for all one day, and I pray that I’m alive to see that happen. There’s nothing I would like more than to dance on YOUR grave. Go away HIV and take all your minions with you. Please leave the human race alone, we have enough problems, stop making us worry, stop spending our money and STOP HURTING THOSE WE LOVE!

P.S.  Did I forget to mention that my son’s stats are good and undetectable??? You can be controlled. Ha, how that make you feel?

MOM
                                                                                                       


10 comments:

  1. To Tom's Mom, I met your son in 2004 working at Penn State and I got the pleasure of meeting him while bringing his message to the PSU Beaver Campus. Meeting him changed my life. Never had I ever thought of HIV in the way he shared, never did I know that though I'm not HIV+ that I should be an advocate not just in money or time, but in spreading the word and sharing stories - stories like your Tom's.

    You raised an amazing boy with a message that I wish he hadn't had to give, but his status changed his life and lives of so many on so many campuses and places. Thanks to him I created an HIV and safe sex program that I've used since 2004 on every campus that I've worked for and I continue to follow him, and the good he is doing.

    HIV is not a fair disease and I'm so proud of you for loving him no matter what. I'm so proud of you for sharing your thoughts as a mom...a friend...someone who loves unconditionally. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This caused my breathing to hitch ... Mom incorporated so many things I have internalized over the course of my illness (I was infected back in 1981), and did it SO eloquently!

    Tommy, You have a Mom that personifies what family is all about; consider Yourself blessed!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mom, This wretch of a virus may have entered your son's life, but with your loving support (and nagging) he will live to see it conquered. He is a generous person, so you can be very proud. Thank you for bearing witness to your own anger and sorrow. We learn from you. Roberta Willliamson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mom,

    I am a 32 year old HIV negative gay male from Canada. In many ways, I am sure my mom can appreciate some of your sentiments here. What a beautiful letter. Although I do not have HIV, I and my mother have lived in fear of HIV entering my life for many years. You are a wonderful mom from what I read above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been living with HIV for 3yrs and my mom is still scared to let people know about my status due to she doesn't want me to get hurt or lashed out by mean people. I wish she could feel OK and safe about my status. Your letter was wonderful and I will be reading to my mom. Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely wonderful. I lost my mother many years ago and she was never able to understand my diagnosis or to know the wonderful things I have done or the great person I have become. My mom would be so very proud of me today. Mom, I miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all those out there who have read my letter: I so much appreciate all the kind things that you said about me. I was not looking for praise when I wrote this,I just wanted everyone to know that even though HIV can kill and has killed, it can't kill LOVE!! I love my son Tommy more now than ever before because I know the clock is ticking and everyday that goes by that we still have each other, that is the only thing that matters. Keep fighting everyone and as long as you keep your heart open, love will always find it's way in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing son you have! How proud you must be of him. From the first time I met Tommy I knew he was special and that the good Lord had important plans for him. What a difference he has made and continues to make in this world. He has taken this dreadfully cruel thing and turned it into fight I know in my heart he will win. There are so many things I wish I could tell you about what incredible man you have raised, but I'm sure you already know. He has my love and support and I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a powerful message! I have always admired the passion and courage you have shown.. Tommy, you are a TRUE inspiration of what we ALL can accomplish as we educate ourselves and others on this horrific, despicable disease. I have known, and loved your family for many years, and have always so appreciated the love and support your mother has shown me through MY diagnosis. It is so important when you are faced with something like this, that you have a great support system of true friends and family.. The letter your mom wrote, I know, came straight from her heart, and as I read what she wrote of her feelings, fears, and most of all, her perfect and unconditional love for you, I was reminded as I read the part about my situation, remembering that morning so clearly, how she came to the house, and just held me as I cried.. I'll never forget that..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tom's Mom I don't know your son but I appreciate his work and contribution to combatting HIV and the stigma and discrimination that surrounds it. Mothers carry such challenges and worries in this complex and challenging work. However a mother's love is powerful thing and it is great that Tom has the family support behind him that supports him to stand strong in this world and to hold fast against the HIV virus. Best wishes Mat

    ReplyDelete